How Do You Know If You have a Wet Basement?

Mold in your basementThe last thing you want to hear is that you might be sharing your home with an invisible danger. If you have mold in your basement or the potential for mold, you just might be doing just that. You should always be aware of the dangers that mold represents and how to detect if you are at risk. It could mean your health and the health of your family and pets.

The first thing you should know is that you may or may not even detect the mold. It typically has a strong odor and can be seen if you inspect a little. But that is not always the case. You may not notice until you are experiencing health problems associated with breathing in the bad air.

Symptoms you will experience that let you know you have a mold problem include feeling listless, experiencing watering eyes and suffering from congestion. You will notice these problems become intense when you are inside your home. You might not realize that when you leave your home you feel better but just stepping inside the house brings the symptoms back. A tip for people who have damp basements that subject them to a mold problem is to use dehumidifiers and fans to keep the air flowing.

At the first indication you have that there might be mold in your basement, do an inspection. You might smell the odor in certain spots in your home. Check the crawlspace or basement area directly below the most intense area of odor. Concentrate on moist areas. Look carefully through your basement, checking behind walls, insulation and wallpaper if you can. You will probably notice the odor is much stronger in the basement. You should be able to find visible signs of mold by following the smell. If you don’t, call in the professionals.

When you are doing your search, check these areas specifically:

  • Window wells
  • Drainpipes
  • Bathroom and sink pipes
  • All corners
  • Closets
  • Door frames
  • Ledges

A small amount of mold usually does not cause serious health problems but it can be very aggravating. If it is the smell and sight of it that lets you know it’s there, you definitely aren’t going to want to stay in the house. Before it gets to the point where you just want to get out and stay out, consult the professionals to take care of the mold in your basement!

This entry was posted in Basement Waterproofing, Seepage and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.